Wednesday 23 March 2016

Catwalk Styling Ideas

I have thoroughly gone through Chanel's S/S 2016 Ready to Wear collection, and took note of trends that I saw and also what I liked the most. What I noticed a lot throughout the collection was:

The silver shoe:




I really loved these shoes that a lot of the models wore during the show. After researching the intentions of Karl, I found that he included a lot of silver in the show in order to replicate the reflection of the sun on an aeroplane and silver components of a plane. A lot of elements of this collection revolve around reflection. I also thought that the silver matched all of the garments perfectly too, and so this has been something to consider when choosing the shoes. As most of the models wore this type of shoe, I chose to use silver for both shoots as they will also match the clothes that I want the model to wear. Images that I feel have inspired this look and inspire my look:









   


White trousers:

 

These trousers give off the impression of travel and also being care free, and so are what I would like to include in the 'day' outfit. Paired with a jacket or a jumper in the style of Chanel is that I think will be appropriate for this look. Moreover, they will go well with the silver shoes, like they do on the actual catwalk. These trousers are synonymous with travelling and are stereotypically worn in hot countries because of their light feeling and white colour that reflects heat back. This has been chosen by the designers because of the fact that these looks are based on travelling and being abroad. They are also coming into trend more with the younger generations, whereas they were stereotypically more popular with older women before. Trousers were popularised by Coco Chanel herself, and so Chanel are maintaining their progressive fashion styles.

Reflective sunglasses:



These sunglasses were the material version of the makeup that had been created by Tom Pecheux. These are large and glamorous, and give off the impression that when the model is on the flight, they do not want to be disturbed. I think the reflection also signifies the reflection of the windows on the plane, which is another example of Karl's reflective intention. I think that they are also representative of sunset colours, as they are of a gradient style and are sky colours. This is an allusion to sunsets and the sky while away in another country, which is how Chanel has fulfilled this theme of travel through accessories. I love the look of these sunglasses and how they add to the outfits, and so I'd like to include these in my Catwalk shoots. Images that I think have inspired this look and inspire my own look:

    

Statement jewellery:

 

A lot of the looks featured silver jewellery that cascaded down the chest of the models. These were statement pieces, however they did not overpower the outfits but rather added to them beautifully. I would like to include a statement piece in atleast one of my looks as I think this will replicate the collection well and also, again, conform to the look of 'reflection' with jewels and silver.

My moodboards:

I will be working with a fashion styling student for the day look in order to get the best possible look. As she is not available for when I am shooting the night look, I will style that myself.

In this I included my inspiration outfit and descriptions of what they are/why I would like them underneath. I was not quite sure what I wanted for this look so included two options. The first is a look that consists of tribal prints as this is a theme I noticed throughout the collection, and the second is a more traditional Chanel look with a tweed jacket. The model will be wearing white trousers as this is what I also stated I wanted to include, with silver shoes. I think minimal jewellery will be appropriate for this look as I do not want it to be confused with the night look as I would like them to contrast. This look will be more suited to the less neat hairstyle that I would like for this look too, which contrasts the neat hairstyle of the night look.


This is the look that I will be styling myself. I found some of these items on ASOS which I will order for the shoot as I don't think that I can borrow clothes and jewellery that look like these and will give a realistic look of Chanel. This look is darker and more formal than the first, which I hope will be an obvious contrast.

Styling for the night look:

As I am working with a styling student who will be styling my day look, I have only had to order the clothes for the night look. This is what I ordered/borrowed:





I think that accompanied with my handmade headband and the neat, plaited hairstyle with pearl material intertwined, these garments will go well and look as if they have come from the Chanel runway. I also believe that my blue eyeliner look will match the sunglasses, and not be a simple match with the formality of the look. Moreover, it will not be over the top and overpower the rest of the look. In addition to this, I believe that these will suit the photography style I am using, as this is how they are displayed on the ASOS website anyway.

This is my first time ordering clothes online and styling a whole look myself, and I have found it an enjoyable experience. I have found that ordering in the clothes that exactly matched my look rather than borrowing clothes that barely suited my intended look is more satisfying and looks more professional. I hope that this is translated within my shoots.

No comments:

Post a Comment