Thursday 14 April 2016

'Night' Advert shoot

Here is the image from my 'Night' Advert shoot. I am very happy with how this image turned out and how the post production turned out. Next to no editing went into the skin. The most editing went into getting rid of the stray hairs, lengthening the nails, creating this motion effect, enhancing the background colours and creating the text. 


There were several elements that inspired the post-production of this photoshoot. Firstly, the text was inspired by the text in Chanel's LA Sunrise promotional video:


My layering of text inspiration comes from the different coloured sunsets, this movement of the sun and gradients:

  

The repetition of her figure here has been inspired by the neon, experimental style of the video also. I wanted to incorporate this modern, game-like look into my shoot. Not knowing how to add shapes like these into the shoot, I thought that creating a look of motion and an almost altered state of mind was another method of imitating this style. I think that this video and my shoot has the intention of adding another dimension to the look:


The neon colours in the background has been inspired by the highly filtered and contrasted scenes in the video, and also neon lights of 80's LA. This was my allusion to the 80's and gives the look of not only a sunset but being around the city at night:

 

   

This shoot was helpful in teaching me the skill of enhancing the nails, as this is an important aspect of the Chanel collection. I managed to find a colour that was similar to that of the LA Sunrise collection. I watched a youtube tutorial that taught me how to enhance the nails, and here is the before and after: 



I believe that this photo is replicative of the 80's, Miami Vice style that I was intending, and I believe that the makeup, hair and styling contributes to this.

On the day, my time management wasn't very good. Unfortunately I was unable to get a friend to help me with the setup of the lighting, and so makeup, hair, styling and photography was all down to me. I started the makeup at 9:30AM and my studio time began from 11AM to 1PM, and unfortunately the makeup and hair ran over and I was done with the makeup and hair by 11:30. Then I had to set up the lighting, which took another 45 minutes by the time I had got the desired setup and lighting look, which still wasn't perfect. In addition to this, the tethering to the computer wasn't working and so I had to look at the photos via the camera, and so by the end of the shoot I was very underwhelmed. This was due to my lack of time to shoot, the stress of setting up quickly, getting the lighting right and making sure the makeup and hair looked good.

Despite this, once I looked at the images on my laptop after and started editing, my confidence grew and I created a photo that I am very pleased with and am happy to use in my portfolio. I have a few other images to edit that I could also use for the project or my portfolio, here is an unfinished example:


There is more editing that I would like to do to the nails and the neck here, however I have not edited the lips and am really happy with how neat they are, which was the intention as the Chanel photo of the makeup is clean and neat. 


No comments:

Post a Comment