Wednesday 20 April 2016

'Day' Editorial Shoot Ideas

Having looked at Chanel's current S/S 2016 editorials, I have taken ideas from them for styling, makeup and hair, and location. Firstly, I mentioned in my previous post about the editorials that they were shot in city locations that looked less classy than where you would expect the luxurious brand to be set in. This means that I would like to find a location that looks similar to this in Southampton, however still with the air of class that is conventional of Chanel. I have seen a road that I believe would be a perfect setting for the shoot: it features expensive, London looking houses and is next to a road:


I think in comparison to the chanel editorial, this is an english version of an urban jungle that theirs is set in. There is an air of class, yet it still features cars, roads and gates that are not always aesthetically pleasing. 

I created some moodboards to aid in coming up with ideas of what I wanted the hair, makeup and styling to be. I took inspiration from these photos from the Chanel editorial:

 

What I wanted to take inspiration from here was the pastel colours, and the mix of casual and formalwear together. It is apparent that the shoes in these photos are not formal and have a more casual style, and so I will follow this. In addition to this, these photos do not focus on enabling the clothes to fit the model perfectly and fit like a glove; the clothes are shown in action. This means that I would not have to choose clothes that are extremely feminine and flattering, but rather look interesting in the context of walking through the city.

Poses

The poses for this shoot will be inspired be those in the above photos. Their poses are boyish and rebellious. Crossed arms show defiance and carelessness, and the tilted head looking down at the camera is a strong pose that aims to intimidate the viewer. Moreover, in the second photo, the model has her hands in her pockets, which is stereotypically 'not feminine' and can often be construed as rude. She is also doing this due to the fact that she is wearing casual clothing, and so this adds to the theme of nonchalance and coolness. Therefore I will ask my model to pose like this in order to conform to the theme.

I chose this black and gold chain belt as I feel that this is a material that is stereotypical of the Chanel handbags:

The pastel colours in these clothes have been inspired by the colours of the clothes in the Chanel editorial that are on the spectrum of pinks, whites and purples. The detailed collar that I want to include is an allusion to the use of jewellery in the Chanel catwalk, and means that there is an element of intricacy without using jewellery in the shoot as the Chanel editorial does not include this. I also think that the jumper and skirt combination is a method of combining feminine and masculine shapes and combinations that are featured in the above photos. Moreover, the pink kicker shoes have a small platform that are unconventional of heels that would be seen in a stereotypically feminine shoot. 

I have been able to borrow items that are similar to those of my moodboard from a friend, and I think that they are a perfect match to what I intended:





My idea for makeup was a graphic liner look, inspired by the black smokey eye makeup featured in the Chanel editorial, with the connotations of independence and rebellion. This is what inspired me from the editorial:


However I feel that this kind of look is too strong for the pastel coloured clothes that I am having in this shoot, as the clothes that this model is wearing are geometric and very bold. Therefore I feel that a graphic liner look will compliment the clothes without overshadowing them. I have complied some images that were my inspiration:


Either blue or black will be appropriate, as black gives the image of rebellion, and blue is on trend. When considering the styling, I believe that black would suit the clothes more as blue might clash. This eyeliner look is a juxtaposition to the feminine, vintage connotations of the outfit that my model will be wearing as it is a modern take on the famous 60's eyeliner look. Moreover, it provides an angular, neat look that lessens the casualness of the jumper and shoes that will be part of the look. After this I will include face charts with my makeup ideas for this graphic liner look. I know that I want the skin to look as natural as it does in Chanel's editorials, as this gives the impression that the model is in a rush somewhere, or simply doesn't care what she looks like and does not need to please other people.

My face chart ideas:



Having learned how to create chignons in class, I believe that a messy version would be fitting for this look. The hair in the Chanel editorials are left natural:


However, my models' hair is of a straight texture and I don't think that this would be as interesting as having afro or curly hair. Therefore I feel that a messy hairstyle would conform to this theme that the editorial has: carelessness, rebellion and adventurousness. The bun however still has this feminine look, but the messiness shows disruption and it suitable for the length and consistency of my model's hair. It means that the collar will not be covered by the hair as my model's hair is longer than shoulder length, and so creating this hairstyle has needed to encompass practicality and function as well as aesthetics.







No comments:

Post a Comment