Tuesday 19 April 2016

'Day' Advert Shoot

This was my favourite image from the advert shoot, unedited:



I chose to change the top light from red to orange, and kept the bottom light blue. This gave a gradient from yellow, to orange, to purple which I thought matched more with the coral colours and general colour scheme that I intended for the shoot, and gave more of the impression of daylight than my night shoot.


When editing this photo, I filtered her face and body etc as I felt that there was too much exposure on the face and this has a more red/pink tone that I thought was recognisable as an 80's themed look, and also made it look more realistic that she is in the sun and has tanned skin. I also edited the nail again in order for the nail polish to be visible, as the nail polish is part of the collection. 

I chose to overlay a light opacity photo of water on the background, which was inspired by Chanel's own LA Sunrise promotional video:


I loved this look and thought that it was modern and retro. I am fond of adding such effects in post production as I feel that this can add a sense of realism and uniqueness to a photo that is shot in the studio. This makes it a lot more obvious that the model has just come out of water, and also lends to the fact that this collection is based on Los Angeles. The effect of the sunset colours behind the water makes it look as if there is a neon effect, which I think is very representative of the 1980's where neon was popular. 

In terms of the logo, I chose to use these colours and to have a layered effect because of the inspiration I took from the opening scene of the LA Sunrise promotional video:


I think that this layering effect takes inspiration from a sunrise/sunset, namely the gradient of colour that it provides. For example:

 

Therefore I decided to use this as inspiration but create my own version. 

Shooting this image was relatively stress free, and the only problems I faced were with the set up and the time management again. I found that doing the makeup and hair meant that I ran over into studio time, however this was not from fault of my own. My model was modelling for another makeup student just before my shoot, and so had I been able to start the makeup earlier this would not have happened. 

When it came to the set up, because it was more complicated than my catwalk lighting and some of the equipment is scarce and so often not available, I had to actively look around and search for some items which cost me time too. However once this was set up I was very happy with it. Moreover I had an assistant with me who was on hand to keep the hair and the skin wet, meaning that I didn't have to solely focus on the hair and makeup myself. Overall I am pleased with how this shoot turned out, and pleased that my vision came together better than I had hoped.


No comments:

Post a Comment