Thursday 21 April 2016

'Day' Editorial Shoot

These are the photos from my editorial shoot:






I am pleased with how this shoot went overall. I was apprehensive about photographing outside as I have not done this before and I was unconfident with not having the computer next to me with a big view of the photos I was taking. I did find this as a disadvantage as I had to keep zooming in on the photos to see whether they were in focus which was time consuming. Moreover, I found difficulty with utilising the sunlight in a way that would be flattering on the face and show the makeup, rather than leaving a shadow in the eye sockets. To overcome this, I moved in different positions and made my model move in different positions and adjust her head. Therefore I was able to get images that I was happy with. I placed the 'Chanel' text in the corners as this is where they were placed in the Chanel editorials, for example: 


I also found that adjusting camera settings and using a different lens was useful in different situations. The portrait setting on the camera with a 50mm lens gave this beautiful in focus with a blurry background effect which I am pleased with. My photos reminded me of these editorial photos:

 

What I found difficult was trying to compose an interesting mid/full length photo, especially with the normal lens that the camera came with. It would have been helpful to have a test shoot for the editorial, however I did not have a photography lesson in time for this. It would have been beneficial to know if there was a different lens that could have given me a less flat effect, as I feel like the longer length photos lack depth. I also feel that I could have injected more colour into the photo through clothing and location, and this should be something to think about for my next shoot. 

I am really pleased with how the makeup turned out, and this has given me more confidence to create  more neat, intricate designs that follow current trends. I was apprehensive with creating this ombre look, however I pushed myself and am happy with the result. However with the hair, I am happy with the look in some photos, however in others it looks messy without having a nice silhouette, which does not look professional. This is where not checking that the hair was perfect between shots was my downfall, and this is what I have mentioned I neglect a lot when taking on the role of photographer as well as makeup and hair artist. Therefore I really need to take the time to make sure that the elements within the photo are perfect before taking it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment