Monday 25 April 2016

'Night' Editorial Shoot


This is my 'Night' editorial image. I decided to change the location when I saw this postbox down the road as I felt that it really matched with the outfit and the makeup look, which I thought was important as I didn't really show the outfit very well in the last shoot. In addition to this, I felt that this presented an urban jungle in the UK, with a contrast from the neighbourhood my shoot was set in previous editorial. The photo that inspired me from the Chanel editorial was this:


I also took this photo to show the makeup better:



What I found difficult was the fact that I had to shoot in the evening for this. My model wasn't available until this time and I was helping out with a styling student's shoot in the morning that I didn't foresee lasting as long as it did. Therefore the lighting wasn't as bright or natural as I desired, and I had to add a couple of filters to make sure the photo looked as if it was in daylight. Despite this, the evening setting could have added to the 'night' look. 

I also would have desired to have an outfit that was more geometric and clashing like those above, as I feel like this outfit was too safe and not as similar to the collection as I would have liked. However I feel that my model's poses were similar to that of the models in the editorials and I was pleased with her strong expression. In addition to this, I was also pleased with the makeup as it was exactly how I wanted it to look. I feel that the smokey eye represents her personality as care-free and disobedient, which is aided by the septum ring. This was the only element of jewellery I featured as I noticed that these Chanel editorials did not include jewellery, which I think was for the purpose of portraying the women as 'in a rush'. 

In terms of photography, using a 50mm lens gives good quality for the photos, but focusing it on the element of the frame that you want it to, and it my case it was the face, it is hard to do when the face is far away. I was able to get a few photos that had the face in focus, however photos that I thought would be suitable were not after I looked at them on my laptop on a big screen. This is a negative with location shoots that I have found to be difficult and to my disadvantage when being the photographer. 

Overall I am pleased with this photo, however I would have liked to get more full length photos that focused on outfits too, but unfortunately my photography skills are not advanced enough for this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment