Friday 8 April 2016

Chanel Advert Analysis

Chanel's Spring 2016 makeup collection is called 'L.A. Sunrise', based on the beautiful skies of Los Angeles. The colours include oranges and pinks that replicate sunrises and sunsets, and blues that replicate the sky and the sea. This is a bold collection that consists of contrasting tones that oppose on the colour wheel yet match together perfectly to depict the Los Angeles atmosphere.


This image shows flawless, dewy skin that looks as if the sun is shining on the model's skin. It is already clear that I will need a model with perfect skin in order to create this look. The light is from above as it hits the face on the side areas, at the top of the highlighted points, and there is a shadow underneath the chin and the hand. It is also quite central as this is shown by where the light hits the body too. It is also apparent that there is a slight wind on the model, making her hair and scarf experience motion, which also simulates the atmosphere of being by the beach in LA. 

There is minimal styling here; the model is merely wearing a scarf which imitates how those in LA would dress; minimally and stylishly. This could be a feature that would be a fitting addition to my shoot. The model's hair is natural and shines; not much has been done to create this look apart from most likely using hair oil and possibly straighteners. It is important to look at how the shot has been formulated in order to aid my own and follow the methods of Chanel and how they create their adverts. 



The film they created for the collection is a glitching, contrasted piece that encompasses all the colours of the sunset and a morning/night at the beach. This bold coloured video is a modern, colourful, playful way of presenting the new makeup collection and transporting the viewer to an LA Sunrise without having to be on location. This video also invokes the words 'Miami Vice' in my head, as it mimics this look of the 80's Miami theme. I know that my photos will have to focus on colour, motion and flawless skin. 

I have collated some images of an 'LA Sunrise' in order to grasp the colours and the scene more. 

 

 



The colours here are oranges, pinks, purples, yellows and blues. These will feature in my shoot in order to replicate this look.











In addition to this, it is important to look at the products that Chanel are offering within this collection:


This collection consists of bright and bold colours, alongside deep, soft tones. I would not say that this a collection that matches; it is clear that they have taken inspiration from a lot of different sceneries within LA and combined them together. 

The nail polish featured is a deep blue/purple shade that is clearly visible in the video and in the shot, and so I think that this is an important feature to include, from my research I discovered that this is called 'sunrise trip' and is the only nail polish affiliated with this collection. 

I also like the coral and peach coloured blush included that possibly has the intention of depicting the orange sky, or the reflection it can have on skin. This is something I would like to feature in my shoot, along with lips that are either pink, coral or red like those of the collection. 

In terms of eyes, I like the purple shades combined with blue. I think that this is an uncommon combination but something that would look perfect within the studio, and so I need to think about how I can combine this look with similar colours to that of the Chanel ones. This leads to me needing to now create face charts to formulate an idea that will suit the LA Sunrise collection.

On Chanel's Youtube channel, they have two videos with ideas of how to use their collection. Here is a bright, more eye-catching example:

 

I found this interesting as it is an example of how to combine the colours, and it again shows how the collection is not conventional but instead pushes the boundaries of the use of colours, encouraging consumers to experiment with looks that are diverse. 

I also found another image that promotes the nail polish and lipstick within the collection:


The adverts feature absolutely clean lines and flawless skin. There are absolutely no imperfections which needs to be replicated to the closest degree in order to make a believable Chanel advert. This look is not 100% achievable through just makeup and photography, as it is clear that post-production is a huge factor when it comes to this look. The nails are perfect an the skin features almost no lines, and from my practice with photoshop I will need to know how to do this when editing my advert shots. I will watch videos and tutorials in order to learn how to edit this properly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment